Friday, May 1, 2009

Suzie's Chocolate Cake

This recipe was devised by my mother, and it was many, many years before she agreed to let me share it. This cake has the most unique chocolate flavor- not just unique for a cake, but different from any confection I have ever tasted.

The cocoa for both the cake and the frosting is bloomed in hot butter, which really helps develop the flavor. The addition of sour cream adds a slightly acidic note. My favorite part might be how my mother cautions against using too much sugar- this keeps the cake dark and intense.

Oh, and when she says heaping tablespoons, she means HEAPING. I've seen her make this cake before, and I'm just proud of her for not breaking down and throwing in the cocoa by handfuls.

In her own words:

Suzie’s Chocolate Cake

350 degree oven / greased and floured 9" X 13" baking pan / 20 – 25 minutes or until done

2 sticks butter
1 cup water
4 HEAPING T. Cocoa (The Cocoa chosen will effect the flavor, of course. Try different kinds to see which you like best.)
2 cups sifted flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp. soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup sour cream
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla

Combine 1st 3 ingredients in saucepan. Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat.
Add flour, sugar and salt.
Beat until well blended.
Add sour cream, soda, egg and vanilla.
Mix well.
Pour into greased and floured 9" X 13" baking pan.
Bang pan on counter to make bubbles in batter rise to the surface and pop for a better texture.

Frosting

Boil together:
1 stick butter
1/2 cup sour cream
4 HEAPING T. cocoa
Stir it to keep it from scorching, but if you cook it a little while until it looks really ugly, the cocoa tastes better.

Pour into mixing bowl and add powdered sugar, mixing well. Only add enough sugar to make it sweet enough to please you. I never use a whole box of sugar. I find that the cocoa flavor is enhanced by holding back a little on the amount of sweetness added.
Add 1 tsp. vanilla, and blend well.

Pour frosting on cake while cake is warm, and then spread it out. I have tried to remove this cake from the pan to treat it like a regular cake, but the icing is hard to handle. I find leaving it in the pan it was baked in makes everything work better.

I also like to toast nuts, pecans, almonds or hazelnuts to sprinkle on top as people desire. I find they add a lovely flavor.

1 comment: